Friday, February 10, 2012

Why is there a basket under my chair at church anyway?

Here's an interesting article.

http://religiousaffections.org/articles/hymnody/thanks-but-ill-keep-my-printed-hymnal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ReligiousAffectionsMinistries+(Religious+Affections+Ministries)

I like how the author expresses both his love for truth, and a love for the history of music in the church.

Aaron G had a class with the youth on teaching the hymns. I'm sure it was helpful. An old guy like me questions the benefit of our youth never having held a hymnal in their hands.

I still remember the first hymn that affected me. God revealed Himself to me while I was working in Milwaukee in the mid 70's. The church I visited sang, Have Thine Own Way, Lord. Remains a favorite of mine to this day.

And here is a hymn that I have for years hoped would be sung at my funeral. This isn't morbid thinking - just a desire that such truth as found in the hymn would be heard by those who have never heard the gospel.

Be Still, My Soul
By: Catharina von Schlegel

Be still, my soul; the Lord is on your side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to your God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; your best, your heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul; your God will undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Your hope, your confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul; the waves and wind still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul; though dearest friends depart
And all is darkened in the vale of tears;
Then you will better know his love, his heart,
Who comes to soothe your sorrows and your fears.
Be still, my soul; your Jesus can repay
From his own fullness all he takes away.

Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

3 comments:

  1. ". . . and be filled with the Spirit, speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cordell;
      Good to hear from you, from nearly the other side of this planet earth.
      I assume your ministry in Burma went well.
      You would enjoy the monday morning breakfasts we have started at church.

      Delete
    2. Here's a brief account of my time in Burma:

      http://lifeabroadathandong.blogspot.com/2012/02/people-of-yangon-i-perceive-that-in.html

      Only now getting back to feeling in good health. Just in time to start the new semester here at Handong.

      Delete