Thursday, February 16, 2012

Can't buy me love

I love the story of Martin Luther.

What I like best about him was his willingness to stand up for what he believed the bible teaches and to courageously face opponents - even to the point of being threatened with death.

Here's an excerpt from an article in Christianity Today:

In his seminal Luther: Man Between God and the Devil (English edition Yale, 1989), Reformation scholar Heiko Oberman renders Luther's speech like this:

"Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Holy Scriptures or by evident reason-for I can believe neither pope nor councils alone, as it is clear that they have erred repeatedly and contradicted themselves-I consider myself convicted by the testimony of Holy Scripture, which is my basis; my conscience is captive to the Word of God. Thus I cannot and will not recant, because acting against one's conscience is neither safe nor sound. God help me. Amen."

Being threatened with death for our biblical beliefs is not something we face in America today. At worst, we risk being slammed on the internet for posting our beliefs on a blog. Or a courageous athlete risks being made fun of in the media for expressing publicly his or her's faith in the Lord Jesus.

But this link isn't about that aspect of Martin Luther, it's about how he lived his life as a leader of the church.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2012/02/16/hospitality-and-generosity-in-the-luther-home/

Martin and Katie Luther - you gotta love em!

No comments:

Post a Comment